Core Tasks Include:
- Correct errors by making appropriate changes and rechecking the program to ensure that the desired results are produced.
- Conduct trial runs of programs and software applications to be sure they will produce the desired information and that the instructions are correct.
- Compile and write documentation of program development and subsequent revisions, inserting comments in the coded instructions so others can understand the program.
- Write, update, and maintain computer programs or software packages to handle specific jobs such as tracking inventory, storing or retrieving data, or controlling other equipment.
- Consult with managerial, engineering, and technical personnel to clarify program intent, identify problems, and suggest changes.
- Perform or direct revision, repair, or expansion of existing programs to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements.
- Write, analyze, review, and rewrite programs, using workflow chart and diagram, and applying knowledge of computer capabilities, subject matter, and symbolic logic.
- Investigate whether networks, workstations, the central processing unit of the system, or peripheral equipment are responding to a program's instructions.
- Prepare detailed workflow charts and diagrams that describe input, output, and logical operation, and convert them into a series of instructions coded in a computer language.
- Perform systems analysis and programming tasks to maintain and control the use of computer systems software as a systems programmer.
- Consult with and assist computer operators or system analysts to define and resolve problems in running computer programs.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Write or contribute to instructions or manuals to guide end users.
- Assign, coordinate, and review work and activities of programming personnel.
- Collaborate with computer manufacturers and other users to develop new programming methods.
- Train subordinates in programming and program coding.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.