Software Developers, Systems Software
Core Tasks Include:
- Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware, or to upgrade interfaces and improve performance.
- Design or develop software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design.
- Consult with engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software, develop specifications and performance requirements, or resolve customer problems.
- Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system.
- Develop or direct software system testing or validation procedures.
- Direct software programming and development of documentation.
- Consult with customers or other departments on project status, proposals, or technical issues, such as software system design or maintenance.
- Coordinate installation of software system.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
- Confer with data processing or project managers to obtain information on limitations or capabilities for data processing projects.
- Prepare reports or correspondence concerning project specifications, activities, or status.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Advise customer about or perform maintenance of software system.
- Monitor functioning of equipment to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Evaluate factors such as reporting formats required, cost constraints, or need for security restrictions to determine hardware configuration.
- Supervise and assign work to programmers, designers, technologists, technicians, or other engineering or scientific personnel.
- Train users to use new or modified equipment.
- Use microcontrollers to develop control signals, implement control algorithms, or measure process variables, such as temperatures, pressures, or positions.
- Recommend purchase of equipment to control dust, temperature, or humidity in area of system installation.
- Specify power supply requirements and configuration.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.