Core Tasks Include:
- Apply mathematical theories and techniques to the solution of practical problems in business, engineering, the sciences, or other fields.
- Develop computational methods for solving problems that occur in areas of science and engineering or that come from applications in business or industry.
- Maintain knowledge in the field by reading professional journals, talking with other mathematicians, and attending professional conferences.
- Perform computations and apply methods of numerical analysis to data.
- Develop mathematical or statistical models of phenomena to be used for analysis or for computational simulation.
- Assemble sets of assumptions and explore the consequences of each set.
- Address the relationships of quantities, magnitudes, and forms through the use of numbers and symbols.
- Develop new principles and new relationships between existing mathematical principles to advance mathematical science.
- Disseminate research by writing reports, publishing papers, or presenting at professional conferences.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Design, analyze, and decipher encryption systems designed to transmit military, political, financial, or law-enforcement-related information in code.
- Conduct research to extend mathematical knowledge in traditional areas, such as algebra, geometry, probability, and logic.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.