Mechanical Engineering Technicians
- Prepare parts sketches and write work orders and purchase requests to be furnished by outside contractors.
- Draft detail drawing or sketch for drafting room completion or to request parts fabrication by machine, sheet or wood shops.
- Review project instructions and blueprints to ascertain test specifications, procedures, and objectives, and test nature of technical problems such as redesign.
- Review project instructions and specifications to identify, modify and plan requirements fabrication, assembly and testing.
- Devise, fabricate, and assemble new or modified mechanical components for products such as industrial machinery or equipment, and measuring instruments.
- Discuss changes in design, method of manufacture and assembly, and drafting techniques and procedures with staff and coordinate corrections.
- Set up and conduct tests of complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate proposals for improving equipment performance.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: - 0.7%
National: + 1.9%
High School Diploma
Three: Medium Preparation Needed
Highest ($50,000 and up)