Core Tasks Include:
- Keep abreast of new biochemistries, instrumentation, or software by reading scientific literature and attending professional conferences.
- Provide statistical and computational tools for biologically based activities, such as genetic analysis, measurement of gene expression, or gene function determination.
- Direct the work of technicians and information technology staff applying bioinformatics tools or applications in areas such as proteomics, transcriptomics, metabolomics, or clinical bioinformatics.
- Develop new software applications or customize existing applications to meet specific scientific project needs.
- Develop data models and databases.
- Create or modify web-based bioinformatics tools.
- Design and apply bioinformatics algorithms including unsupervised and supervised machine learning, dynamic programming, or graphic algorithms.
- Create novel computational approaches and analytical tools as required by research goals.
- Compile data for use in activities, such as gene expression profiling, genome annotation, or structural bioinformatics.
- Communicate research results through conference presentations, scientific publications, or project reports.
- Manipulate publicly accessible, commercial, or proprietary genomic, proteomic, or post-genomic databases.
- Consult with researchers to analyze problems, recommend technology-based solutions, or determine computational strategies.
- Analyze large molecular datasets, such as raw microarray data, genomic sequence data, or proteomics data, for clinical or basic research purposes.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Recommend new systems and processes to improve operations.
- Confer with departments, such as marketing, business development, or operations, to coordinate product development or improvement.
- Collaborate with software developers in the development and modification of commercial bioinformatics software.
- Test new and updated bioinformatics tools and software.
- Prepare summary statistics of information regarding human genomes.
- Instruct others in the selection and use of bioinformatics tools.
- Improve user interfaces to bioinformatics software and databases.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.