Remote Sensing Scientists and Technologists
Core Tasks Include:
- Analyze data acquired from aircraft, satellites, or ground-based platforms, using statistical analysis software, image analysis software, or Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Develop or build databases for remote sensing or related geospatial project information.
- Integrate other geospatial data sources into projects.
- Prepare or deliver reports or presentations of geospatial project information.
- Organize and maintain geospatial data and associated documentation.
- Process aerial or satellite imagery to create products such as land cover maps.
- Design or implement strategies for collection, analysis, or display of geographic data.
- Direct all activity associated with implementation, operation, or enhancement of remote sensing hardware or software.
- Collect supporting data, such as climatic or field survey data, to corroborate remote sensing data analyses.
- Compile and format image data to increase its usefulness.
- Conduct research into the application or enhancement of remote sensing technology.
- Discuss project goals, equipment requirements, or methodologies with colleagues or team members.
- Develop automated routines to correct for the presence of image distorting artifacts, such as ground vegetation.
- Develop new analytical techniques or sensor systems.
- Manage or analyze data obtained from remote sensing systems to obtain meaningful results.
- Monitor quality of remote sensing data collection operations to determine if procedural or equipment changes are necessary.
- Attend meetings or seminars or read current literature to maintain knowledge of developments in the field of remote sensing.
- Participate in fieldwork.
- Set up or maintain remote sensing data collection systems.
- Train technicians in the use of remote sensing technology.
- Apply remote sensing data or techniques, such as surface water modeling or dust cloud detection, to address environmental issues.
- Use remote sensing data for forest or carbon tracking activities to assess the impact of environmental change.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Direct installation or testing of new remote sensing hardware or software.
- Recommend new remote sensing hardware or software acquisitions.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.