Nuclear Monitoring Technicians
- Calculate safe radiation exposure times for personnel using plant contamination readings and prescribed safe levels of radiation.
- Provide initial response to abnormal events or to alarms from radiation monitoring equipment.
- Monitor personnel to determine the amounts and intensities of radiation exposure.
- Inform supervisors when individual exposures or area radiation levels approach maximum permissible limits.
- Instruct personnel in radiation safety procedures and demonstrate use of protective clothing and equipment.
- Determine intensities and types of radiation in work areas, equipment, or materials, using radiation detectors or other instruments.
- Collect samples of air, water, gases, or solids to determine radioactivity levels of contamination.
- Set up equipment that automatically detects area radiation deviations and test detection equipment to ensure its accuracy.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
National: - 5.9%
Three: Medium Preparation Needed
Highest ($50,000 and up)