Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
Licensure for Secondary Teachers varies depending on specific area of teaching (for example, Science, Social Studies, Math, Art, Music, etc.).
Contact the Department of Education for a complete list of requirements for licensure in the State of Virginia
General requirements for licensure are listed below
TYPES OF TEACHING LICENSES:
The following types of licenses are available to teachers:
1) Provisional License
2) Technical Professional License
3) Collegiate Professional License
4) Postgraduate Professional License
1) The PROVISIONAL LICENSE is a nonrenewable license issued for a period of three years to individuals who have been employed by a Virginia educational agency. It is available to: an individual holding a BACCALAUREATE degree from an accredited institution who meets the requirements for one or more endorsement areas (in - state or out-of-state); an individual entering the teaching field through the alternate route to licensure upon recommendation of the employing educational agency; an individual failing to meet an allowable portion of general, professional, or specific endorsement requirements; an individual seeking the Technical Professional License; or an individual who is eligible for licensure but who needs to successfully complete the professional teacher’s assessment prescribed by the Board of Education.
2) The TECHNICAL PROFESSIONAL LICENSE is a five-year, renewable license available to a person who has graduated from an accredited HIGH SCHOOL (or possess a General Education Development Certificate), who does not hold a baccalaureate degree but has exhibited academic proficiency, technical competency, and occupational experience. Individuals must: Hold a license issued by the appropriate Virginia Board for those program areas requiring a license and a minimum of two years of satisfactory experience at the journeyman - level or an equivalent; OR have completed a registered apprenticeship program and two years of satisfactory experience at the journeyman level or an equivalent in the trade; OR have four years of work experience at the management or supervisory level or equivalent; or have a combination of four years training and work experience at the management or supervisory level or equivalent. Individuals must have completed nine semester hours of specialized professional studies credit from an accredited college or university. The Technical Professional License is issued at the recommendation of an employing educational agency.
3) The COLLEGIATE PROFESSIONAL LICENSE is a five-year, renewable license available to an individual who has satisfied all requirements for licensure, including the professional teacher’s assessment prescribed by the Board of Education. It is also issued to an applicant from out-of-state who holds a current, valid license from that state or who has completed an approved teacher preparation program in another state in a comparable endorsement area and who has satisfied the professional teacher’s assessment requirement prescribed by the Board of Education.
4) The POSTGRADUATE PROFESSIONAL LICENSE is a five-year, renewable license available to an individual who has qualified for the Collegiate Professional License and who hold an appropriate earned graduate degree from an accredited institution.
Contact ETS at 1 - 800 - 772 - 9476 for testing information.
• Exam Fee:
• Out of state (based on the address written on the application form): $75
• License Renewal: $25
• Add or evaluate for an additional endorsement: $25
• Other actions on licenses (adding a degree/ duplicate licenses): $25
• Name change (only request): $25 (for duplicating the license)
• A cap of $50 will be assessed for a request for multiple actions on license.
For More Information, Contact:
Department Of Education
P.O. Box 2120
Richmond, VA 23218-2120
The data sources for the information displayed here include: Virginia Career VIEW Research.