Core Tasks Include:
- Refer patients to medical specialists, social services or other professionals as appropriate.
- Participate in continuing education activities to maintain or enhance knowledge and skills.
- Direct, coordinate, or supervise the patient care activities of nursing or support staff.
- Write patient discharge summaries and send them to primary care physicians.
- Direct the operations of short stay or specialty units.
- Train or supervise medical students, residents, or other health professionals.
- Prescribe medications or treatment regimens to hospital inpatients.
- Order or interpret the results of tests such as laboratory tests and radiographs (x-rays).
- Attend inpatient consultations in areas of specialty.
- Conduct discharge planning and discharge patients.
- Diagnose, treat, or provide continuous care to hospital inpatients.
- Admit patients for hospital stays.
- Communicate with patients' primary care physicians upon admission, when treatment plans change, or at discharge to maintain continuity and quality of care.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.