Complete one of three types of training programs:
- A 2-year associate’s degree (AND) program offered by a community college
- A 3-year hospital-based diploma, or
- A 4-year bachelor’s degree (BSN) program at a college or university.
Must pass a written exam as required by the Board of Nursing. In order to apply to take the exam, an applicant must:
1. File the required application, any necessary documentation and fee no later than 60 days prior to the first day of the month in which the applicant expects to take the examination.
2. Arrange for the board to receive an official transcript from the nursing education program which shows either:
a. That the degree or diploma has been awarded, or
b. That all requirements for awarding the degree or diploma have been met and specifies the date of conferral.
3. File a new application and reapplication fee if:
a. The examination is not taken within six months of the date that the Board determines the applicant to be eligible; or
b. Eligibility is not established within six months of the original filing date.
4. The minimum passing standard on the examination for registered nurse licensure and practical nurse licensure shall be determined by the board.
A. A graduate of an approved nursing education program who has been licensed by examination in another U.S. jurisdiction and whose license is in good standing, or is eligible for reinstatement, if lapsed, shall be eligible for licensure by endorsement in Virginia, provided the applicant satisfies the same requirements for registered nurse or practical nurse licensure as those seeking initial licensure in Virginia.
1. Application for licensure by examination-$130
2. Application for licensure by endorsement-$130
3. Reapplication for licensure by examination-$25
4. Biennial licensure renewal-$95
5. Late renewal-$35
6. Reinstatement of lapsed license-$145
7. Reinstatement of suspended or revoked license-$185
8. Duplicate license-$5
9. Replacement wall certificate-$15
10. Verification of license-$25
11. Transcript of all or part of applicant/licensee records-$25
12. Returned check charge-$25
13. Application for CNS registration-$95
14. Biennial renewal of CNS registration -$60
15. Reinstatement of lapsed CNS registration-$105
16. Verification of CNS registration to another jurisdiction-$25
17. Late renewal of CNS registration-$20
19. Late renewal of an inactive license-$15
For More Information, Contact:
American Nurses Credentialing Center
600 Maryland Ave SW,
Suite 100 West
Washington, DC 20024
Virginia Department Of Health Professions
Board Of Nursing
6603 West Broad St., 5th Floor
Richmond, VA 23230-1712
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
P.O. Box 40473
Washington, DC 20016
Virginia Nurses' Association
7113 Three Chopt Road, Suite 204
Richmond, VA 23226
The data sources for the information displayed here include: Virginia Career VIEW Research.