Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
- Administer first aid treatment or life support care to sick or injured persons in prehospital settings.
- Operate equipment, such as electrocardiograms (EKGs), external defibrillators, or bag valve mask resuscitators, in advanced life support environments.
- Assess nature and extent of illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures.
- Maintain vehicles and medical and communication equipment and replenish first aid equipment and supplies.
- Observe, record, and report to physician the patient's condition or injury, the treatment provided, and reactions to drugs or treatment.
- Perform emergency diagnostic and treatment procedures, such as stomach suction, airway management, or heart monitoring, during ambulance ride.
- Administer drugs, orally or by injection, or perform intravenous procedures under a physician's direction.
- Comfort and reassure patients.
- Coordinate work with other emergency medical team members or police or fire department personnel.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Three: Medium Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)