Core Tasks Include:
- Count sponges, needles, and instruments before and after operation.
- Hand instruments and supplies to surgeons and surgeons' assistants, hold retractors and cut sutures, and perform other tasks as directed by surgeon during operation.
- Scrub arms and hands and assist the surgical team to scrub and put on gloves, masks, and surgical clothing.
- Provide technical assistance to surgeons, surgical nurses, or anesthesiologists.
- Wash and sterilize equipment, using germicides and sterilizers.
- Prepare, care for, and dispose of tissue specimens taken for laboratory analysis.
- Prepare dressings or bandages and apply or assist with their application following surgery.
- Operate, assemble, adjust, or monitor sterilizers, lights, suction machines, or diagnostic equipment to ensure proper operation.
- Monitor and continually assess operating room conditions, including patient and surgical team needs.
- Observe patients' vital signs to assess physical condition.
- Maintain a proper sterile field during surgical procedures.
- Prepare patients for surgery, including positioning patients on the operating table and covering them with sterile surgical drapes to prevent exposure.
- Clean and restock operating room, gathering and placing equipment and supplies and arranging instruments according to instructions, such as a preference card.
- Order surgical supplies.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Maintain supply of fluids, such as plasma, saline, blood, or glucose, for use during operations.
- Maintain files and records of surgical procedures.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.