Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
Core Tasks Include:
- Protect the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained.
- Review records for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with regulations.
- Retrieve patient medical records for physicians, technicians, or other medical personnel.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Process patient admission or discharge documents.
- Compile and maintain patients' medical records to document condition and treatment and to provide data for research or cost control and care improvement efforts.
- Enter data, such as demographic characteristics, history and extent of disease, diagnostic procedures, or treatment into computer.
- Release information to persons or agencies according to regulations.
- Plan, develop, maintain, or operate a variety of health record indexes or storage and retrieval systems to collect, classify, store, or analyze information.
- Manage the department or supervise clerical workers, directing or controlling activities of personnel in the medical records department.
- Transcribe medical reports.
- Identify, compile, abstract, and code patient data, using standard classification systems.
- Resolve or clarify codes or diagnoses with conflicting, missing, or unclear information by consulting with doctors or others or by participating in the coding team's regular meetings.
- Train medical records staff.
- Assign the patient to diagnosis-related groups (DRGs), using appropriate computer software.
- Post medical insurance billings.
- Process and prepare business or government forms.
- Prepare statistical reports, narrative reports, or graphic presentations of information, such as tumor registry data for use by hospital staff, researchers, or other users.
- Consult classification manuals to locate information about disease processes.
- Compile medical care and census data for statistical reports on diseases treated, surgery performed, or use of hospital beds.
- Develop in-service educational materials.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.