Police Patrol Officers
Core Tasks Include:
- Provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations.
- Identify, pursue, and arrest suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts.
- Record facts to prepare reports that document incidents and activities.
- Review facts of incidents to determine if criminal act or statute violations were involved.
- Render aid to accident victims and other persons requiring first aid for physical injuries.
- Testify in court to present evidence or act as witness in traffic and criminal cases.
- Evaluate complaint and emergency-request information to determine response requirements.
- Patrol specific area on foot, horseback, or motorized conveyance, responding promptly to calls for assistance.
- Monitor, note, report, and investigate suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards, and unusual or illegal activity in patrol area.
- Investigate traffic accidents and other accidents to determine causes and to determine if a crime has been committed.
- Photograph or draw diagrams of crime or accident scenes and interview principals and eyewitnesses.
- Monitor traffic to ensure motorists observe traffic regulations and exhibit safe driving procedures.
- Relay complaint and emergency-request information to appropriate agency dispatchers.
- Issue citations or warnings to violators of motor vehicle ordinances.
- Direct traffic flow and reroute traffic in case of emergencies.
- Inform citizens of community services and recommend options to facilitate longer-term problem resolution.
- Provide road information to assist motorists.
- Act as official escorts, such as when leading funeral processions or firefighters.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Process prisoners, and prepare and maintain records of prisoner bookings and prisoner status during booking and pre-trial process.
- Inspect public establishments to ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.