Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products
Core Tasks Include:
- Answer customers' questions about products, prices, availability, or credit terms.
- Quote prices, credit terms, or other bid specifications.
- Emphasize product features based on analyses of customers' needs and on technical knowledge of product capabilities and limitations.
- Negotiate prices or terms of sales or service agreements.
- Maintain customer records, using automated systems.
- Collaborate with colleagues to exchange information, such as selling strategies or marketing information.
- Prepare sales presentations or proposals to explain product specifications or applications.
- Provide customers with ongoing technical support.
- Inform customers of estimated delivery schedules, service contracts, warranties, or other information pertaining to purchased products.
- Visit establishments to evaluate needs or to promote product or service sales.
- Complete expense reports, sales reports, or other paperwork.
- Compute customer's installation or production costs and estimate savings from new services, products, or equipment.
- Stock or distribute resources, such as samples or promotional or educational materials.
- Prepare and submit sales contracts for orders.
- Contact new or existing customers to discuss how specific products or services can meet their needs.
- Select or assist customers in selecting products based on customer needs, product specifications, and applicable regulations.
- Verify that delivery schedules meet project deadlines.
- Identify prospective customers using business directories, leads from existing clients, participation in organizations, or trade show or conference attendance.
- Advise customers on product usage to improve production.
- Study documentation or other information for new scientific or technical products.
- Attend sales or trade meetings or read related publications to obtain information about market conditions, business trends, environmental regulations, or industry developments.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Provide feedback to product design teams so that products can be tailored to clients' needs.
- Arrange for installation and testing of products or machinery.
- Consult with engineers regarding technical problems with products.
- Obtain building blueprints or specifications for use by engineering departments in bid preparations.
- Visit establishments, such as pharmacies, to determine product sales.
- Inform customers about issues related to responsible use and disposal of products, such as waste reduction or product or byproduct recycling or disposal.
- Present information to customers about the energy efficiency or environmental impact of scientific or technical products.
- Research and convey information to customers about tax benefits or government rebates associated with energy-efficient scientific or technical products, such as solar panels.
- Sell technical and scientific products that are environmentally sound or designed for environmental remediation.
- Sell service contracts for technical or scientific products.
- Demonstrate the operation or use of technical or scientific products.
- Initiate sales campaigns to meet sales and production expectations.
- Verify accuracy of materials lists.
- Verify customer credit ratings.
- Appraise equipment to determine contract terms or trade-in values.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.