Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
Core Tasks Include:
- Answer customers' questions about products, prices, availability, product uses, and credit terms.
- Recommend products to customers, based on customers' needs and interests.
- Contact regular and prospective customers to demonstrate products, explain product features, and solicit orders.
- Estimate or quote prices, credit or contract terms, warranties, and delivery dates.
- Consult with clients after sales or contract signings to resolve problems and to provide ongoing support.
- Prepare drawings, estimates, and bids that meet specific customer needs.
- Provide customers with product samples and catalogs.
- Identify prospective customers by using business directories, following leads from existing clients, participating in organizations and clubs, and attending trade shows and conferences.
- Monitor market conditions, product innovations, and competitors' products, prices, and sales.
- Perform administrative duties, such as preparing sales budgets and reports, keeping sales records, and filing expense account reports.
- Obtain credit information about prospective customers.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Arrange and direct delivery and installation of products and equipment.
- Forward orders to manufacturers.
- Check stock levels and reorder merchandise as necessary.
- Plan, assemble, and stock product displays in retail stores, or make recommendations to retailers regarding product displays, promotional programs, and advertising.
- Negotiate with retail merchants to improve product exposure, such as shelf positioning and advertising.
- Train customers' employees to operate and maintain new equipment.
- Buy products from manufacturers or brokerage firms and distribute them to wholesale and retail clients.
- Prepare sales contracts and order forms.
- Negotiate details of contracts and payments.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.