Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
Core Tasks Include:
- Verify accuracy of billing data and revise any errors.
- Operate typing, adding, calculating, or billing machines.
- Prepare itemized statements, bills, or invoices and record amounts due for items purchased or services rendered.
- Review documents such as purchase orders, sales tickets, charge slips, or hospital records to compute fees or charges due.
- Perform bookkeeping work, including posting data or keeping other records concerning costs of goods or services or the shipment of goods.
- Keep records of invoices and support documents.
- Resolve discrepancies in accounting records.
- Type billing documents, shipping labels, credit memorandums, or credit forms, using typewriters or computers.
- Contact customers to obtain or relay account information.
- Answer mail or telephone inquiries regarding rates, routing, or procedures.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Compute credit terms, discounts, shipment charges, or rates for goods or services to complete billing documents.
- Track accumulated hours and dollar amounts charged to each client job to calculate client fees for professional services, such as legal or accounting services.
- Review compiled data on operating costs and revenues to set rates.
- Compile reports of cost factors, such as labor, production, storage, or equipment.
- Consult sources such as rate books, manuals, or insurance company representatives to determine specific charges or information such as rules, regulations, or government tax and tariff information.
- Update manuals when rates, rules, or regulations are amended.
- Estimate market value of products or services.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.