Meter Readers, Utilities
- Read electric, gas, water, or steam consumption meters and enter data in route books or hand-held computers.
- Walk or drive vehicles along established routes to take readings of meter dials.
- Upload into office computers all information collected on hand-held computers during meter rounds, or return route books or hand-held computers to business offices so that data can be compiled.
- Verify readings in cases where consumption appears to be abnormal, and record possible reasons for fluctuations.
- Inspect meters for unauthorized connections, defects, and damage, such as broken seals.
- Report to service departments any problems, such as meter irregularities, damaged equipment, or impediments to meter access, including dogs.
- Answer customers' questions about services and charges, or direct them to customer service centers.
- Update client address and meter location information.
- Leave messages to arrange different times to read meters in cases in which meters are not accessible.
Projections Quick View:
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)