Core Tasks Include:
- Lay out wall patterns or foundations, using straight edge, rule, or staked lines.
- Shape, trim, face and cut marble or stone preparatory to setting, using power saws, cutting equipment, and hand tools.
- Set vertical and horizontal alignment of structures, using plumb bob, gauge line, and level.
- Mix mortar or grout and pour or spread mortar or grout on marble slabs, stone, or foundation.
- Remove wedges, fill joints between stones, finish joints between stones, using a trowel, and smooth the mortar to an attractive finish, using a tuck pointer.
- Set stone or marble in place, according to layout or pattern.
- Clean excess mortar or grout from surface of marble, stone, or monument, using sponge, brush, water, or acid.
- Lay brick to build shells of chimneys and smokestacks or to line or reline industrial furnaces, kilns, boilers and similar installations.
- Replace broken or missing masonry units in walls or floors.
- Smooth, polish, and bevel surfaces, using hand tools and power tools.
- Drill holes in marble or ornamental stone and anchor brackets in holes.
- Repair cracked or chipped areas of stone or marble, using blowtorch and mastic, and remove rough or defective spots from concrete, using power grinder or chisel and hammer.
- Remove sections of monument from truck bed, and guide stone onto foundation, using skids, hoist, or truck crane.
- Construct and install prefabricated masonry units.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Dig trench for foundation of monument, using pick and shovel.
- Position mold along guidelines of wall, press mold in place, and remove mold and paper from wall.
- Line interiors of molds with treated paper and fill molds with composition-stone mixture.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.