Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Position and secure steel bars, rods, cables, or mesh in concrete forms, using fasteners, rod-bending machines, blowtorches, or hand tools.
- Space and fasten together rods in forms according to blueprints, using wire and pliers.
- Determine quantities, sizes, shapes, and locations of reinforcing rods from blueprints, sketches, or oral instructions.
- Place blocks under rebar to hold the bars off the deck when reinforcing floors.
- Cut rods to required lengths, using metal shears, hacksaws, bar cutters, or acetylene torches.
- Cut and fit wire mesh or fabric, using hooked rods, and position fabric or mesh in concrete to reinforce concrete.
- Bend steel rods with hand tools or rodbending machines and weld them with arc-welding equipment.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Less than a High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Highest ($50,000 and up)