Continuous Mining Machine Operators
- Operate mining machines to gather coal and convey it to floors or shuttle cars.
- Determine locations, boundaries, and depths of holes or channels to be cut.
- Reposition machines to make additional holes or cuts.
- Drive machines into position at working faces.
- Move controls to start and regulate movement of conveyors and to start and position drill cutters or torches.
- Observe and listen to equipment operation to detect binding or stoppage of tools or other equipment malfunctions.
- Repair, oil, and adjust machines, and change cutting teeth, using wrenches.
- Hang ventilation tubing and ventilation curtains to ensure that the mining face area is kept properly ventilated.
- Conduct methane gas checks to ensure breathing quality of air.
- Check the stability of roof and rib support systems before mining face areas.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: - 7.1%
National: - 5.7%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Highest ($50,000 and up)