Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Remove workpieces from machines, and check to ensure that they conform to specifications, using measuring instruments such as microscopes, gauges, calipers, and micrometers.
- Observe milling or planing machine operation and adjust controls to ensure conformance with specified tolerances.
- Position and secure workpieces on machines, using holding devices, measuring instruments, hand tools, and hoists.
- Study blueprints, layouts, sketches, or work orders to assess workpiece specifications and to determine tooling instructions, tools and materials needed, and sequences of operations.
- Move controls to set cutting specifications, to position cutting tools and workpieces in relation to each other, and to start machines.
- Compute dimensions, tolerances, and angles of workpieces or machines, according to specifications and knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- Verify alignment of workpieces on machines, using measuring instruments, such as rules, gauges, or calipers.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)