Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Inspect workpieces for defects, and measure workpieces to determine accuracy of machine operation, using rules, templates, or other measuring instruments.
- Observe machine operation to detect workpiece defects or machine malfunctions, adjusting machines as necessary.
- Read blueprints or job orders to determine product specifications and tooling instructions and to plan operational sequences.
- Set up and operate machines, such as lathes, cutters, shears, borers, millers, grinders, presses, drills, and auxiliary machines, to make metallic and plastic workpieces.
- Position, adjust, and secure stock material or workpieces against stops, on arbors, or in chucks, fixtures, or automatic feeding mechanisms, manually or using hoists.
- Select, install, and adjust alignment of drills, cutters, dies, guides, and holding devices, using templates, measuring instruments, and hand tools.
- Change worn machine accessories, such as cutting tools and brushes, using hand tools.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: - 2.2%
National: - 2.5%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)