Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Adjust saw blades, using wrenches and rulers, or by turning handwheels or pressing pedals, levers, or panel buttons.
- Inspect and measure workpieces to mark for cuts and to verify the accuracy of cuts, using rulers, squares, or caliper rules.
- Set up, operate, or tend saws or machines that cut or trim wood to specified dimensions, such as circular saws, band saws, multiple-blade sawing machines, scroll saws, ripsaws, or crozer machines.
- Inspect stock for imperfections or to estimate grades or qualities of stock or workpieces.
- Mount and bolt sawing blades or attachments to machine shafts.
- Monitor sawing machines, adjusting speed and tension and clearing jams to ensure proper operation.
- Guide workpieces against saws, saw over workpieces by hand, or operate automatic feeding devices to guide cuts.
- Sharpen blades or replace defective or worn blades or bands, using hand tools.
- Lubricate or clean machines, using wrenches, grease guns, or solvents.
- Clear machine jams, using hand tools.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: + 2.8%
National: - 1.0%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Mid Range ($28,000 - $35,999)