Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Observe machine gauges and equipment operation to detect defects or deviations from standards, and make adjustments as necessary.
- Determine paint flow, viscosity, and coating quality by performing visual inspections, or by using viscometers.
- Select appropriate coatings, paints, or sprays, or prepare them by mixing substances according to formulas, using automated paint mixing equipment.
- Turn dials, handwheels, valves, or switches to regulate conveyor speeds, machine temperature, air pressure and circulation, and the flow or spray of coatings or paints.
- Start and stop operation of machines, using levers or buttons.
- Fill hoppers, reservoirs, troughs, or pans with material used to coat, paint, or spray, using conveyors or pails.
- Perform test runs to ensure that equipment is set up properly.
- Clean machines, related equipment, and work areas, using water, solvents and other cleaning aids.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: + 0.1%
National: - 0.7%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Mid Range ($28,000 - $35,999)