Mates- Ship, Boat, and Barge
- Steer vessels, using navigational devices, such as compasses or sextants, or navigational aids, such as lighthouses or buoys.
- Stand watches on vessels during specified periods while vessels are under way.
- Determine geographical positions of ships, using lorans, azimuths of celestial bodies, or computers, and use this information to determine the course and speed of a ship.
- Assume command of vessels in the event that ships' masters become incapacitated.
- Inspect equipment, such as cargo-handling gear, lifesaving equipment, visual-signaling equipment, or fishing, towing, or dredging gear, to detect problems.
- Participate in activities related to maintenance of vessel security.
- Arrange for ships to be stocked, fueled, or repaired.
- Observe loading or unloading of cargo or equipment to ensure that handling and storage are performed according to specifications.
- Supervise crew members in the repair or replacement of defective gear or equipment.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: + 0.3%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Highest ($50,000 and up)