Computer programmers write code to create software programs.
• Write code in computer languages, such as C++ and Java.
• Update programs.
• Test and fix program errors.
• Assist software developers.
• Consult with their managers, or other computer specialists if they work in a team.
Where and When:
• Most work full time.
• Because writing codes can be done anywhere, many programmers telecommute.
What or Who They Work With:
• Computer languages
• Other computer specialists
Education and Training:
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or related subject.
• Sometimes an associate's degree is OK.
Computer and Information Systems Managers
Computer Support Specialists
Computer Systems Analysts
Related School Subjects:
Mousetracks: A Kid's Computer Idea Book by Peggy L. Steinhauswer (Illustrator)
The Savvy Cyber Kids At Home: The Family Gets A Computer by Ben Halpert
Franklin and the Computer (A Franklin TV Storybook) Inc. Kids Can Press
Arthur's Computer Disaster by Marc Brown
FUN WITH COMPUTER ELECTRONICS by Becker and Mayer Ltd.