Diagnose, manage, and treat conditions and diseases of the human eye and visual system.
• Examine eyes, using observation, instruments and pharmaceutical agents.
• Prescribe, supply, fit and adjust eyeglasses, contact lenses and other vision aids.
• Educate and counsel patients on contact lens care, visual hygiene, lighting arrangements and safety factors.
• Provide vision therapy and low vision rehabilitation.
Where and When:
• Work in an optometry office.
• Work during the day, up to five days per week.
What or Who They Work With:
• Work with patients requiring eye examines and eye problem diagnosis and treatment.
• Work with testing and diagnostic materials and vision correction aids.
Education and Training:
• Most have a Doctoral Degree.
Related School Subjects:
Science, Health and P.E.
The Berenstain Bears Visit the Doctor by Stan Berenstain and Jan Berenstain
Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body by Tish Rabe
The Apothecary by Christine Petersen