Smooth and finish surfaces of poured concrete. Align forms for sidewalks, curbs, and gutters.
• Construct forms to hold the concrete.
• Spread, level, and smooth concrete.
• Mold edges and joints.
• Monitor how wind, and temperature affect the drying of the cement throughout the process.
• Signal the truck driver to get in the correct position and to pour the concrete.
• Remove areas of damaged concrete and repair the area with new concrete.
Where and When:
Usually work outside.
What or Who They Work With:
• Work with other construction workers.
• May work with architects or city planners.
Education and Training:
• Most have a few years of related work experience and receive on-the-job training.
• Some jobs may require training in a vocational school or and Associate's degree.
Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers
Related School Subjects:
Science, math, and art
How a House Is Built by Gail Gibbons
Building a Road by Henry Pluckrose and Teri Gower
Road Builders by B. G. Hennessy and Simms Taback
Roadwork! By Sally Sutton and Brian Lovelock
The Tunnel Builders by James E. Kelly