Athletes and sports competitors compete in sports events as part of a team or alone.
• Plays sports games
• Exercises and practices
• Is part of a team
Where and When:
• Most practice outdoors for many sports.
• Some practice indoors.
• Athletes compete in many places on fields, in stadiums, on tennis courts, ice skating rinks, golf courses, tracks, in gyms and moe.
• Athletes must practice many times per week.
• Some must practice every day.
• Most have games every week.
• Some compete in the Olympics and competitions all over the world.
• Many will practice early in the morning, during the day, or at night.
• Games and competitions are held at all times of the day all over the world.
What or Who They Work With:
• Sports equipment balls, cleats, raquets, bats, etc.
• Sports safety equipment such as helmets, pads, and protective gear
• Other team members
• Athletic Trainers
• Sports Officials
Education and Training:
• Most professional athletes have a Bachelor's degree (4 years) or some college classes.
• Few professional athletes are recruited out of high school.
• Most must have at least a high school diploma.
• Some may have a Master's degree (6 years)
• Most have competed most of their lives in sports as a child or at least in middle and high school.
• Most professional athletes are discovered when they attend college and play on college teams.
• It is rare for athletes to be recruited directly out of high school
- Sports Official
- Team Manager
Related School Subjects:
• Physical Education
- Athletic Fitness for Kids by Scott Lancaster adn Rado Teodorescu
- Sports Illustrated Kids All Access: Your Pass to Behind the Scenes Photos of Athletes, Locker Rooms, and More by the Editors of Sports Illustrated for Kids.
- Sports Illustrated Kids WOW! The Pop-Up Book of Sports by Editors of Sports Illustrated for Kids
- The Everything Kids' Baseball Book: From Baseball history to player stats with lots of homeroun fun in between by Greg Jacobs
- H is for Home Run: A Baseball Alphabet by Brad Herzog and Melanie Rose
- The Lucky Baseball Bat: 50th Anniversary Commemorative Edition by Mat Christopher and Robert Henneberger
- Baseball: How it Works by David Louis Dreier
- The Boy Who Saved Baseball by John H. Ritter
- Baseball; The Math of the Game by Thomas Kristian Adamson
- True Heroes of Baseball: The Stories of Jackie Robinson and Roberto Clemente by David Martinez
- The Kid Who Only Hit Homers by Matt Christopher
- Return of the Home Run Kid by Matt Christopher
- The Home Run Kid Races On by Stephanie True Peters
- The Everything Kids' Soccer Book: Rules, techniques, and more about your favorite sport by Deborah Crisfield
- Kids' Book of Soccer: Skills, strategies, and the Rules of the Game by Brooks Clark
- My Soccer Book by Gail Gibbons
- The World's Greatest Soccer Players (Sports Illustrated Kids) by Matt Doeden
- The Wild Soccer Bunch Book 1 Kevin the Star Striker by Joachim Masannk and Jan Birk
- Soccer: How it Works (The Science of Sports) by Suzanne Bazemore
- Sports Illustrated The Football Book Expanded Edition by Editors of Sports Illustrated
- The Everything Kids' Football Book: The All time greats, legendary teams, today's superstars and tips on playing like a pro by Greg Jacobs
- My Football Book by Gail Gibbons
- Ultimate Guide to Pro Football Teams (Sports Illustrated Kids) By Shane Frederick
- The Best of Everything Football Book (Sports Illustrated Kids) by Shane Frederick
- Bogeymen Don't Play Football (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids #27) by Debbie Dadey
- Football: The Math of the Game (Sports Illustrated Kids: Sports Math) by Shane Gerald Frederick
- The World's Greatest Football Players (Sports Illustrated Kids) by Matt Doeden
- The Everything Kids Basketball Book: The all time greats, legendary teams, today's superstars- and tips on playing like a pro by Bob Schaller and Coach Dave Harnish
- The Best of Everything Basketball Book by Nate Le Boutillier (Sports Illustrated Kids)
- My Basketball Book by Gail Gibbons
- Leprechauns Don't Play Basketball (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #4) by Debbie Dadey and Marcia T. Jones
- Ultimate Guide to Pro Basketball Teams (Sports Illustrated Kids: Ultimate Pro Guides) by Nate LeBoutillier
- The World's Greatest Basketball Players (Sports Illustrated Kids: The World's Greatest Sports Stars) by Matt Doeden
- Basketball: The Math of the Game (Sports Illustrated Kids: Sports Math) by Thomas Kristian Adamson
- Long Shot (Comeback Kids) by Mike Lupica
- Hat Tricks Count: A Hockey Number Book by Matt Napier and Melanie Rose
- Hockey how it works: (The Science of Sports) Sports Illustrated Kids: The Science of Sports by Agnieszka Biskup
- Kids' Book of Hockey: Skills, Strategies, Equipment, and the Rules of the Game by John Sias
- Z is for Zamboni: A Hockey Alphabet by Matt Napier and Melanie Rose
- The Magic Hockey Stick by Peter Maloney and Felicia Zekauskas
- Teach'n Field Hockey- Guide for Kids and Parents (Teach'n Series 1) by Bob Swope
- Ultimate Guide to Pro Hockey Teams (Sports Illustrated Kids: Ultimate Pro Guides) by Shane Frederick
- An Inside Look at the Game of Hockey-The History, the Teams, and the Players of Hockey by Grant Lamont
- Hockey; the Math of the Game (Sports Illustrated Kids: Sports Math ) by Shane Frederick
- The Best of Everything Hockey Book (Sports Illustrated Kids) by Shane Frederick
- I Spy with My Little Eye: Hockey by Matt Napier and David Milne
- The Magic Hockey Skates by Allen Morgan and Michael Martchenko