Veterinary Technicians work for Veterinarians, like nurses work with doctors. They help keep our pets and farm animals healthy. They do tests on animals, like blood work, and help with first aid.
• Draw blood and give shots
• Talk to animal owners
• Take animal temperature
• Clean animal's teeth
• Perform first aid on injured animals
• Assist Veterinarians in surgery
Where and When:
• Vet hospitals
• Research labs
• Can work long hours
• Sometimes they travel to farms to help large animals
What or Who They Work With:
• They can work with veterinarians taking care of pets like dogs, cats, and birds in an office.
• Some work with veterinarians who take care of farm animals, so they go to ranches and farms.
• Some work for research companies.
• Others work for zoos or animal sanctuaries.
Education and Training:
• Associate's Degree in Veterinary Technology
• Pass a special test
- Animal Care and Service Worker
Related School Subjects:
ANIMAL HOSPITAL by Judith Walker-Hodge
ANIMAL BABIES ON THE FARM by editors of Kingfisher
WILD TIMES AT THE BED AND BISCUIT by Joan Carris