First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
- Provide customer service by greeting and assisting customers, and responding to customer inquiries and complaints.
- Direct and supervise employees engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for customers.
- Monitor sales activities to ensure that customers receive satisfactory service and quality goods.
- Inventory stock and reorder when inventory drops to a specified level.
- Instruct staff on how to handle difficult and complicated sales.
- Hire, train, and evaluate personnel in sales or marketing establishments, promoting or firing workers when appropriate.
- Assign employees to specific duties.
- Enforce safety, health, and security rules.
- Examine merchandise to ensure that it is correctly priced and displayed and that it functions as advertised.
- Plan budgets and authorize payments and merchandise returns.
- Perform work activities of subordinates, such as cleaning and organizing shelves and displays and selling merchandise.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: + 6.0%
National: + 8.4%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)