First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
Core Tasks Include:
- Provide customer service by greeting and assisting customers, and responding to customer inquiries and complaints.
- Monitor sales activities to ensure that customers receive satisfactory service and quality goods.
- Assign employees to specific duties.
- Direct and supervise employees engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for customers.
- Inventory stock and reorder when inventory drops to a specified level.
- Enforce safety, health, and security rules.
- Examine products purchased for resale or received for storage to assess the condition of each product or item.
- Hire, train, and evaluate personnel in sales or marketing establishments, promoting or firing workers when appropriate.
- Perform work activities of subordinates, such as cleaning and organizing shelves and displays and selling merchandise.
- Establish and implement policies, goals, objectives, and procedures for their department.
- Instruct staff on how to handle difficult and complicated sales.
- Examine merchandise to ensure that it is correctly priced and displayed and that it functions as advertised.
- Plan and prepare work schedules and keep records of employees' work schedules and time cards.
- Review inventory and sales records to prepare reports for management and budget departments.
- Confer with company officials to develop methods and procedures to increase sales, expand markets, and promote business.
- Plan budgets and authorize payments and merchandise returns.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Keep records of purchases, sales, and requisitions.
- Formulate pricing policies for merchandise, according to profitability requirements.
- Estimate consumer demand and determine the types and amounts of goods to be sold.
- Plan and coordinate advertising campaigns and sales promotions, and prepare merchandise displays and advertising copy.
- Establish credit policies and operating procedures.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0.