Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
Core Tasks Include:
- Monitor and analyze sales records, trends, or economic conditions to anticipate consumer buying patterns and determine what the company will sell and how much inventory is needed.
- Authorize payment of invoices or return of merchandise.
- Buy merchandise or commodities for resale to wholesale or retail consumers.
- Negotiate prices, discount terms, or transportation arrangements with suppliers.
- Examine, select, order, or purchase merchandise consistent with quality, quantity, specification requirements, or other factors, such as environmental soundness.
- Recommend mark-up rates, markdown rates, or merchandise selling prices.
- Obtain information about customer needs or preferences by conferring with sales or purchasing personnel.
- Collaborate with vendors to obtain or develop desired products.
- Inspect merchandise or products to determine quality, value, or yield.
- Conduct sales meetings to introduce new merchandise.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Consult with store or merchandise managers about budgets or goods to be purchased.
- Train or supervise sales or clerical staff.
- Provide clerks with information to print on price tags, such as price, mark-ups or mark-downs, manufacturer number, season code, or style number.
- Determine which products should be featured in advertising, the advertising medium to be used, or when the ads should be run.
- Monitor competitors' sales activities by following their advertisements in newspapers or other media.
- Analyze environmental aspects of competing merchandise when making buying decisions.
- Compare transportation options to determine the most energy efficient options.
- Develop strategies to advertise green products or merchandise to consumers.
- Identify opportunities to buy green commodities, such as alternative energy, water, or carbon-neutral products for resale to consumers.
- Monitor consumer preferences or environmental trends to determine the best way to introduce new green products.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.