Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers
Core Tasks Include:
- Design test plans, scenarios, scripts, or procedures.
- Test system modifications to prepare for implementation.
- Develop testing programs that address areas such as database impacts, software scenarios, regression testing, negative testing, error or bug retests, or usability.
- Document software defects, using a bug tracking system, and report defects to software developers.
- Identify, analyze, and document problems with program function, output, online screen, or content.
- Monitor bug resolution efforts and track successes.
- Create or maintain databases of known test defects.
- Plan test schedules or strategies in accordance with project scope or delivery dates.
- Participate in product design reviews to provide input on functional requirements, product designs, schedules, or potential problems.
- Review software documentation to ensure technical accuracy, compliance, or completeness, or to mitigate risks.
- Document test procedures to ensure replicability and compliance with standards.
- Develop or specify standards, methods, or procedures to determine product quality or release readiness.
- Update automated test scripts to ensure currency.
- Investigate customer problems referred by technical support.
- Install, maintain, or use software testing programs.
- Provide feedback and recommendations to developers on software usability and functionality.
- Monitor program performance to ensure efficient and problem-free operations.
- Conduct software compatibility tests with programs, hardware, operating systems, or network environments.
- Install and configure recreations of software production environments to allow testing of software performance.
- Collaborate with field staff or customers to evaluate or diagnose problems and recommend possible solutions.
- Identify program deviance from standards, and suggest modifications to ensure compliance.
- Design or develop automated testing tools.
- Coordinate user or third-party testing.
- Perform initial debugging procedures by reviewing configuration files, logs, or code pieces to determine breakdown source.
- Evaluate or recommend software for testing or bug tracking.
- Conduct historical analyses of test results.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Visit beta testing sites to evaluate software performance.
- Provide technical support during software installation or configuration.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.