Computer Hardware Engineers
EIT (Engineer-in-Training) EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must meet one of the following:
• Graduate of approved curriculum of 4 years or more OR Graduate of non-approved curriculum + 2 years of experience
• Must be enrolled in an ABET accredited curriculum and within 12 months of degree.
• Graduated from a non-approved engineering technology curriculum + 6 years of experience
• Graduated with an undergraduate degree from an institution without an approved curriculum and obtained a graduate degree from an institution with an approved curriculum
The first step is graduating from an ABET-accredited engineering program at a college or university.
The first exam in the licensure process is the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE). This exam is offered in April and October every year. Most students take the exam right before graduation or soon after while the technical information they've studied is still fresh in their minds.
Many jurisdictions have specific requirements about the type of experience you need to gain. Most require that you gain experience under the supervision of someone who is already licensed, and that your experience involve increasing levels of responsibility. Once you begin work, contact your licensing board to find out what experience is needed and talk with professional engineers in your company to find out how you can gain this experience.
Once you have gained the appropriate experience, you can take the second exam in the licensure process, the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE). This exam is given in a variety of engineering disciplines. Most disciplines are offered in both April and October, but some are offered only in October.
After completing all the steps in the engineering licensure process—education, experience, and examinations—you are eligible for licensure by your licensing board.
PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Must have a bachelor’s degree from an approved curriculum + 4 years of professional experience as an EIT OR Graduate of non-approved curriculum + 6 years of professional experience as an EIT
• Graduated from a non-approved engineering technology curriculum of four years or more + 10 years experience
• Graduate from an accredited undergraduate engineering degree and a doctorate degree in engineering from an institution with an accredited undergraduate program + 4 years of experience
• Graduated from an engineering , engineering technology or related science curriculum of four years or more + 20 years
• The Principles and Practice of Engineering Exam
• Must provide 3 references from licensed professional engineers
LICENSE RENEWAL: The Professional Engineer license must be renewed every two years.
The examination fee shall consist of the administration expenses of the department resulting from the board’s examination procedures and contract charges.
For More Information, Contact:
IEEE Computer Society
1730 Massachusetts Ave. NW.
Washington, DC 20036-1992
Virginia Department Of Professional And Occupational Regulation
Board For Architects / Prof. Engineers / Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers, And Landscape Architects
3600 West Broad St.
Richmond, VA 23230-4917
The data sources for the information displayed here include: Virginia Career VIEW Research.