Core Tasks Include:
- Measure clients' bridge and eye size, temple length, vertex distance, pupillary distance, and optical centers of eyes, using measuring devices.
- Verify that finished lenses are ground to specifications.
- Prepare work orders and instructions for grinding lenses and fabricating eyeglasses.
- Assist clients in selecting frames according to style and color, and ensure that frames are coordinated with facial and eye measurements and optical prescriptions.
- Maintain records of customer prescriptions, work orders, and payments.
- Perform administrative duties such as tracking inventory and sales, submitting patient insurance information, and performing simple bookkeeping.
- Recommend specific lenses, lens coatings, and frames to suit client needs.
- Sell goods such as contact lenses, spectacles, sunglasses, and other goods related to eyes in general.
- Heat, shape, or bend plastic or metal frames to adjust eyeglasses to fit clients, using pliers and hands.
- Evaluate prescriptions in conjunction with clients' vocational and avocational visual requirements.
- Instruct clients in how to wear and care for eyeglasses.
- Determine clients' current lens prescriptions, when necessary, using lensometers or lens analyzers and clients' eyeglasses.
- Show customers how to insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Repair damaged frames.
- Obtain a customer's previous record, or verify a prescription with the examining optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Arrange and maintain displays of optical merchandise.
- Fabricate lenses to meet prescription specifications.
- Assemble eyeglasses by cutting and edging lenses, and fitting the lenses into frames.
- Supervise the training of student opticians.
- Order and purchase frames and lenses.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Grind lens edges, or apply coatings to lenses.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.