Core Tasks Include:
- Conduct an initial assessment of an athlete's injury or illness to provide emergency or continued care and to determine whether they should be referred to physicians for definitive diagnosis and treatment.
- Care for athletic injuries, using physical therapy equipment, techniques, or medication.
- Evaluate athletes' readiness to play and provide participation clearances when necessary and warranted.
- Apply protective or injury preventive devices, such as tape, bandages, or braces, to body parts, such as ankles, fingers, or wrists.
- Assess and report the progress of recovering athletes to coaches or physicians.
- Collaborate with physicians to develop and implement comprehensive rehabilitation programs for athletic injuries.
- Advise athletes on the proper use of equipment.
- Plan or implement comprehensive athletic injury or illness prevention programs.
- Develop training programs or routines designed to improve athletic performance.
- Travel with athletic teams to be available at sporting events.
- Instruct coaches, athletes, parents, medical personnel, or community members in the care and prevention of athletic injuries.
- Inspect playing fields to locate any items that could injure players.
- Conduct research or provide instruction on subject matter related to athletic training or sports medicine.
- Recommend special diets to improve athletes' health, increase their stamina, or alter their weight.
- Massage body parts to relieve soreness, strains, or bruises.
- Confer with coaches to select protective equipment.
- Accompany injured athletes to hospitals.
- Lead stretching exercises for team members prior to games or practices.
- Perform general administrative tasks, such as keeping records or writing reports.
- File athlete insurance claims and communicate with insurance providers.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Perform team support duties, such as running errands, maintaining equipment, or stocking supplies.
- Teach sports medicine courses to athletic training students.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.