Occupational Therapy Assistants
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Prior to being deemed eligible to take the NBCOT® certification examination, OTR® and COTA® applicants must:
1. Graduate from an accredited occupational therapy program recognized by NBCOT. NBCOT recognizes U.S. occupational therapy degrees accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE), of the American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. (AOTA). Applicants who have not yet received their Occupational Therapy degree but are “cleared for graduation” are considered by NBCOT to have met the academic criteria. “Cleared for graduation” means that all grades have been recorded, the thesis is complete (if required), and there are no outstanding financial obligations to the institution.
2. Complete all fieldwork requirements.
3. Submit the examination application and receive authorization by NBCOT to take the examination. Please Note: The application should not be submitted until the applicant has graduated or is cleared for graduation.
4. Request that the school registrar confirm the applicant’s eligibility to examine by submitting the official final transcript or an NBCOT Academic Credential Verification Form (ACVF).
5. Agree to abide by the NBCOT Candidate/Certificant Code of Conduct
Every third year, practitioners must complete certification renewal requirements in order to maintain use of the OTR or COTA credential.
• Must pass a National Certification exam given by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy and pass all state requirements to practice occupational therapy and to become a certified occupational therapy assistant (COTA).
For more information please read: The Online Certification Examination Handbook
-Examination Application Fee $520
-Official Score Transfer Request $40 per score report
-Confirmation of Examination Registration and
-Eligibility Notice $45 per notice
-Returned Check Fee $35
For More Information, Contact:
National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, Inc.
The Eugene B. Casey Building
800 South Frederick Avenue
Gaithersburg, MD 20877-4150
Virginia Board of Medicine
6606 West Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23230-1717
Virginia Occupational Therapy Association
2314-C Commerce Center Drive
Rockville, VA 23416
The data sources for the information displayed here include: Virginia Career VIEW Research.