Forest Fire Inspectors and Prevention Specialists
- Relay messages about emergencies, accidents, locations of crew and personnel, and fire hazard conditions.
- Direct crews working on firelines during forest fires.
- Estimate sizes and characteristics of fires, and report findings to base camps by radio or telephone.
- Administer regulations regarding sanitation, fire prevention, violation corrections, and related forest regulations.
- Extinguish smaller fires with portable extinguishers, shovels, and axes.
- Locate forest fires on area maps, using azimuth sighters and known landmarks.
- Maintain records and logbooks.
- Examine and inventory firefighting equipment, such as axes, fire hoses, shovels, pumps, buckets, and fire extinguishers, to determine amount and condition.
- Direct maintenance and repair of firefighting equipment, or requisition new equipment.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: No Data
Three: Medium Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)