Chefs and Head Cooks
Core Tasks Include:
- Check the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Check the quantity and quality of received products.
- Order or requisition food or other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation.
- Supervise or coordinate activities of cooks or workers engaged in food preparation.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, or work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Determine how food should be presented and create decorative food displays.
- Instruct cooks or other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, or presentation of food.
- Estimate amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
- Collaborate with other personnel to plan and develop recipes or menus, taking into account such factors as seasonal availability of ingredients or the likely number of customers.
- Analyze recipes to assign prices to menu items, based on food, labor, and overhead costs.
- Prepare and cook foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Recruit and hire staff, such as cooks and other kitchen workers.
- Meet with customers to discuss menus for special occasions, such as weddings, parties, or banquets.
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques or equipment to staff.
- Meet with sales representatives to negotiate prices or order supplies.
- Arrange for equipment purchases or repairs.
- Record production or operational data on specified forms.
- Plan, direct, or supervise the food preparation or cooking activities of multiple kitchens or restaurants in an establishment such as a restaurant chain, hospital, or hotel.
- Coordinate planning, budgeting, or purchasing for all the food operations within establishments such as clubs, hotels, or restaurant chains.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.