Gaming and Sports Book Writers and Runners
Core Tasks Include:
- Collect bets in the form of cash or chips, verifying and recording amounts.
- Collect cards or tickets from players.
- Answer questions about game rules or casino policies.
- Compute and verify amounts won or lost, paying out winnings or referring patrons to workers, such as gaming cashiers, so that winnings can be collected.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Compare the house hand with players' hands to determine the winner.
- Check to ensure that all players have placed their bets before play begins.
- Conduct gambling tables or games, such as dice, roulette, cards, or keno, and ensure that game rules are followed.
- Prepare collection reports for submission to supervisors.
- Pay off or move bets as established by game rules and procedures.
- Inspect cards or equipment to be used in games to ensure they are in proper condition.
- Exchange paper currency for playing chips or coins.
- Open or close cash floats or game tables.
- Start gaming equipment that randomly selects numbered balls and announce winning numbers and colors.
- Record the number of tickets cashed and the amount paid out after each race or event.
- Operate games in which players bet that a ball will come to rest in a particular slot on a rotating wheel, performing actions such as spinning the wheel and releasing the ball.
- Supervise staff and games and mediate disputes.
- Push dice to shooters and retrieve thrown dice.
- Deliver tickets, cards, and money to bingo callers.
- Participate in games for gambling establishments to provide the minimum complement of players at a table.
- Take the house percentage from each pot.
- Sell food, beverages, or tobacco to players.
- Seat patrons at gaming tables.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.