Core Tasks Include:
- Schedule and confirm patient diagnostic appointments, surgeries, or medical consultations.
- Compile and record medical charts, reports, or correspondence, using typewriter or personal computer.
- Answer telephones and direct calls to appropriate staff.
- Receive and route messages or documents, such as laboratory results, to appropriate staff.
- Greet visitors, ascertain purpose of visit, and direct them to appropriate staff.
- Maintain medical records, technical library, or correspondence files.
- Operate office equipment, such as voice mail messaging systems, and use word processing, spreadsheet, or other software applications to prepare reports, invoices, financial statements, letters, case histories, or medical records.
- Transmit correspondence or medical records by mail, e-mail, or fax.
- Perform various clerical or administrative functions, such as ordering and maintaining an inventory of supplies.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Interview patients to complete documents, case histories, or forms, such as intake or insurance forms.
- Arrange hospital admissions for patients.
- Transcribe recorded messages or practitioners' diagnoses or recommendations into patients' medical records.
- Perform bookkeeping duties, such as credits or collections, preparing and sending financial statements or bills, and keeping financial records.
- Complete insurance or other claim forms.
- Prepare correspondence or assist physicians or medical scientists with preparation of reports, speeches, articles, or conference proceedings.
- Schedule tests or procedures for patients, such as lab work or x-rays, based on physician orders.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™.