Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Start machine, engage clutch, and push and move levers to guide machine along forms or guidelines and to control the operation of machine attachments.
- Inspect, clean, maintain, and repair equipment, using mechanics' hand tools, or report malfunctions to supervisors.
- Operate machines to spread, smooth, level, or steel-reinforce stone, concrete, or asphalt on road beds.
- Coordinate truck dumping.
- Set up and tear down equipment.
- Operate tamping machines or manually roll surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
- Shovel blacktop.
- Drive machines onto truck trailers, and drive trucks to transport machines and material to and from job sites.
- Observe distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
- Light burners or start heating units of machines, and regulate screed temperatures and asphalt flow rates.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
National: + 9.2%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)