Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners
- Dress grinding wheels, according to specifications.
- Monitor machine operations to determine whether adjustments are necessary, stopping machines when problems occur.
- Inspect, feel, and measure workpieces to ensure that surfaces and dimensions meet specifications.
- Set up and operate grinding or polishing machines to grind metal workpieces, such as dies, parts, and tools.
- Remove finished workpieces from machines and place them in boxes or on racks, setting aside pieces that are defective.
- File or finish surfaces of workpieces, using prescribed hand tools.
- Select and mount grinding wheels on machines, according to specifications, using hand tools and applying knowledge of abrasives and grinding procedures.
- Perform basic maintenance, such as cleaning and lubricating machine parts.
- Remove and replace worn or broken machine parts, using hand tools.
- Compute numbers, widths, and angles of cutting tools, micrometers, scales, and gauges, and adjust tools to produce specified cuts.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: - 1.4%
National: - 3.2%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)