Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Remove excess, entangled, or completed filaments from machines, using hand tools.
- Set up, operate, or tend machines that extrude and form filaments from synthetic materials such as rayon, fiberglass, or liquid polymers.
- Load materials into extruding and forming machines, using hand tools, and adjust feed mechanisms to set feed rates.
- Start metering pumps and observe operation of machines and equipment to ensure continuous flow of filaments extruded through spinnerettes and to detect processing defects.
- Move controls to activate and adjust extruding and forming machines.
- Record details of machine malfunctions.
- Notify other workers of defects, and direct them to adjust extruding and forming machines.
- Press buttons to stop machines when processes are complete or when malfunctions are detected.
- Observe flow of finish across finish rollers, and turn valves to adjust flow to specifications.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
Virginia: - 7.5%
National: - 9.4%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Mid Range ($28,000 - $35,999)