Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators
- Move levers, depress foot pedals, and turn dials to operate power machinery, such as power shovels, stripping shovels, scraper loaders, or backhoes.
- Set up or inspect equipment prior to operation.
- Observe hand signals, grade stakes, or other markings when operating machines so that work can be performed to specifications.
- Become familiar with digging plans, machine capabilities and limitations, and with efficient and safe digging procedures in a given application.
- Operate machinery to perform activities such as backfilling excavations, vibrating or breaking rock or concrete, or making winter roads.
- Lubricate, adjust, or repair machinery and replace parts, such as gears, bearings, or bucket teeth.
- Move materials over short distances, such as around a construction site, factory, or warehouse.
- Receive written or oral instructions regarding material movement or excavation.
- Create or maintain inclines or ramps.
- Handle slides, mud, or pit cleanings or maintenance.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™; US Department of Labor (BLS); Virginia Workforce Connection.
Projections Quick View:
National: + 6.3%
High School Diploma
Two: Some Preparation Needed
Moderately High ($36,000 - $49,999)