Bakers make breads, rolls, cookies, cakes, pies, pastries, or other baked goods.
• Weight flour, sugar, butter and so on.
• Mix, Blend, roll, cut and shape the dough.
• Set oven temperatures and put things into hot ovens for baking.
• Decorate Baked goods.
• Help with bakery deliveries.
• Order new baking machines or tools.
Where and When:
• Most work in bakeries, grocery stores, and restaurants.
• Some work in food factories.
• Bakers usually work full time. Their shifts often include early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays.
What or Who They Work With:
• Mixing and blending machines
Education and Training:
• Vocational schools, related on-the-job experience. Some require a bachelor's degree.
• Usually need training with experienced workers.
Chef and Head Cooks
Food Preparation Workers
Related School Subjects:
• English• Math• Health• Food Science• Foods and Nutrition
GERMS! GERMS! GERMS! by Bobbi Katz
SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS YOU CAN EAT by Vicki Cobb and David Cain
DISGUSTING FOOD INVADERS (UP CLOSE AND GROSS) by Ruth Owen