A Hairstylist provides beauty services, such as shampooing, cutting, coloring, and styling hair, and massaging and treating scalp. May also apply makeup, dress wigs, perform hair removal, and provide nail and skin care services.
• Keep work stations clean and sanitize tools such as scissors and combs.
• Cut, trim and shape hair based on customers' instructions, hair type and facial features, using clippers, scissors, trimmers and razors.
• Help client to pick out a style that would look nice.
• Schedule client appointments.
• Bleach, dye, or tint hair, using applicator or brush.
• Keep good customer records.
• Sell shampoos and conditioners and other hair and makeup products.
• Create new hairstyles!
Where and When:
• Most work in a salon or barbershop. They can also teach in a school.
• Some work for the companies that make beauty products.
• Hairstylists usually work flexible hours. Evenings and weekends are needed. Some work part-time.
• Often, hairstylists own their own business.
What or Who They Work With:
• They need to work with all different types of people, so they have to have good people skills.
• Combs & brushes
• Hairdryers, curling irons, and straighteners
• Dye and other chemicals
• Makeup tools
Education and Training:
• A High School Diploma or GED is helpful.
• Vocational program (1-2 years) is usually required, plus an apprenticeship.
• Most states require passing a test and getting a license.
- Floral Designer
Related School Subjects:
Hats off to Hair (1995) by Virginia Kroll
Bippity Bop Barbershop (2009) by Nastasha Anastasia Tarpley
I Love My Hair! (2001) by Natasha Tarpley
Clip Clip Clip (2002) by Kathleen Krull and Paul Brewer
The Hair Salon Level 1 (Kindle Only) by Anne Russell and Rosemary Emery
RUBY'S BEAUTY SHOP by Rosemary Wells
Haircut Day at the Poodle Salon (Max Copper Million) by Janet Charlebois
The Fairy Tale Hairdresser and Snow White by Abie Longstaff
Ilza: Today I am a Hairdresser (2015) by J. Square
Minji's Salon (2008) by Eun-hee Choung
Hair Hair Everywhere (2017) by Lissa Beere and May Mutter
What Hair Do You Like? (2016) by Jupiter Kids
The Poodle Problem (2014) by Anna Wilson
Who Got a Nice Haircut? Sally Troublemaker (2013) by Eren's Mom
FANCY NANCY: OOH LA LA! ITS BEAUTY DAY by Jane O'Connor
EVEN MONSTERS NEED HAIRCUTS by Matthew McElligott
Hair Care Tips and Tricks by Karen Latchana Kenney (2015)
Hair Styling Tips and tricks for Girls (2000) by American Girl Editors
Fabulous Hair (2006) by DK Publishing
Hair: World Show and Tell (2006) by Kate Perry
Hair Trix for Cool Chix: The Real Girls Guide to Great Hair (2004) by Leanne Warrick