Interior designers plan, design, furnish, and decorate inside spaces. Interior designers decorate the inside of private homes, public buildings, and offices or hotels. They may design the inside of boats or planes. Some interior designers furnish only private homes. Some furnish particular rooms of homes, such as kitchens or baths.
• Meet with people to learn what type of design they want.
• Draw sketches for each design.
• Make a budget to see how much money is needed for each project.
• Hire people to help build certain parts of the design.
• Shop for different decorations, accessories, fabrics, and furniture.
Where and When:
• Interior designers often work out of an office, but need to travel to different places to meet with clients and work in buildings and homes.
• Interior designers work under deadlines and may work extra hours to finish a job.
• They regularly carry heavy, bulky sample books to meetings with clients.
• Interior designers often work with contractors, carpenters, painters, and other people in designing and completing a project.
What or Who They Work With:
• Measurement Tools
• Sketch Books
• Tape Measure
• Picture Frames
Education and Training:
• Bachelor's degree in Interior Design
• 1-3 year apprenticeship
• Some state require a special license
- Landscape Architect
- Merchandise Displayer
- Industrial Designer
Related School Subjects:
• Graphic Arts
• Social Studies
In My Room : A Book of Creativity and Imagination (2017) by Jo Witek (Preschool)
Lily Lemon Blossom Welcome to Lily's Room (Preschool) by Babara Miller
The Salamander Room (1994) by Anne Mazer
Just Fun Decorating for Tweens & Teens (2007) by Gloria Hander Lyons
The Smart Approach to Kids Rooms, 3rd Edition by Megan Connelly (2008)
Emily's Room: Creating Spaces that Unlock Your Potential (2015) by Katherine Allen
Fashion Angels Interior Design Sketch Portfolio
I've Only Got 3 Hands: tEach Your Children to Keep Their Room Clean (2018) by Sigal Adler
Clean Your Room, Harvey Moon by Pat Cummings (1994)
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room (1983) by Stan and Jan Berenstain
I Love to Keep My Room Clean (2014) by Shelley Admotnt
My Beautiful Room: Interior Design Workbook: Create, Decorate, and Style (2017) by Olivia Whitworth and Jasmine Orchard
How to Draw Furniture for Interior Design Drawing by Water Studios (2016)
A Book about Design: Complicated Doesn't Make It Good (2005) by Mark Gonyea
Another Book About Design: Complicated Doesn't Make it Bad (2007) by Mark Gonyea
Pottery Barn Kids' Rooms: Simple Projects and Tips for Designing Child Friendly Spaces in Your Home (2011) by Margaret Sabo Wills
Kids' Room Designs for Living by the Home Depot (2007)